Round 15 V Magpies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 15 V Magpies

Post by prowler on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 pm

A crucial match this saturday at Alberton.

Have we the team that can get past the Cheltenham cemetery without having to be buried there?

Selection of players who are prepared to take it up to them is crucial

My selection of the 23 man squad would be:  Crabb, Fields, Rose,Liddle, Davis, Guilden, Redigolo, Gotch, Cross, Barnes, Durdin, Hunter, Schwarz, S Taylor, Cailotto, Ellison, Bass, Rankine, Veide, McMahon, Szust, Haines.

We have all had gripes over who is in and out lets find out what we are thinking. This is not a game where we can trial out some of the hopefuls, unless we have put the cue in the rack for this season.
:

:
prowler

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 15 V Magpies

Post by prowler on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:41 pm

Raitt into the squad, give me a break. Even Moyle. We need a team that can compete against an AFL reserves side not just numbers on the ground.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Another loss for Hocking they just keep coming.

Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:55 pm

After todays effort I am at a loss to understand modern football, we go long into the wind then chip around going short with the wind, while the magpies were precise and played the conditions much wiser than we did, and who is responsible for leaving Summerton alone and in space for over 75% of their play, are we actually scared to put someone against him or dont we have players that know what that means, although I am answering my own question. We cannot hold marks, we cannot deliver handballs and cannot kick to our own team mates, we create our own pressure by making simple skill errors, then stand there and watch the ball being taken away by the opposition.
Thank God we have Joel Cross, Nick Liddle and a couple of others who give everything each week, they cannot continue to carry the load, they need help and need it desperately.
I am sick and tired of watching us lose week in, week out, without learning anything from the last loss, its just not good enough.
One thing we have to concede defeat on is our 10 hour a week footballers, cannot compete evenly with 30 hour a week opponents that, are faster, fitter, stronger and more skilled and paid more handsomely than we can ever imagine, our $400K seasonal cap against a $400k game cap, its just not a level paying field.
And while I wont be dragged into a debate about the umpires losing us games, they certainly favour the name players and the higher placed teams.
All we can do is to pressure and upset the teams against us and not be pushed around.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:10 pm

South never posed a genuine threat today. Port had 6 goals on the board within 20 minutes and held sway for the remainder. South played their best footy during the first half of the third, but a late flurry of Power goals put the result beyond doubt at 3/4 time. The Power weren't required to shift out of second gear on too many occasions.

With Overall and Haren on the sidelines our forward line is non-existent. Davis has played predominately forward in recent weeks, but lacks height, pace and intensity to prove effective. Playing Ellison as a permanent F50 option would make more sense.

Cross tried his guts out today in a return to form. Liddle was the only other mid to have an impact. Durdin minimised Eddy's contribution, Rose was busy while young Szust showed a bit. Too many plodders with ordinary skills running around at the moment.

8 losses in 9 starts, and with WWT and Sturt looming, sadly this season is done and dusted.

Last edited by saintal on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Good post prowler, cant argue with any of that.

I'm sure we all agree with the anti-AFL reserves sentiment. I hate to repeat myself yet again but it's turned the comp into a farce. I certainly had no desire to travel to Alberton today to watch such a "contest".

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther Pack on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Prowler the Coach is responsible for the game plan Ive noticed since Round 1 that we chip it around a lot more this year than when Gotch was coach. Clearly Hocking likes this but i dont think it suits our current group of players.
The coach is also responsible for matchups so my guess is Hocking was happy for Summerton to run free all day.
I like Saintal didnt go to Alberton as i have no interest in watching an AFL team flog us.
Panther Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by prowler on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:33 pm

PP, the main reason I always go to alberton is that I have seen every match we have wone at Alberton since I was born in 1948, I would hate to think I never saw us beat the bastards on their own ground .

AS we all know the coach pulls the strings and makes the moves, surely he, (they) can see what is happening and do something constructive about it, and we know there are plenty of times when you cannot stop a good player, but to just let them stand alone in a hole had got all of us whacked.

Unfortunately we do not have enough skilled players capable of chipping it around to form openings to exploit the other team, and while the AFL reserves side are able to train under AFL coaches the SANFL clubs will never be able to stop it from happening.

All I can say is that if Hocking continues next season that he understands the skill of our team and either improves them or works on a plan that they can understand and carry it out.

The trouble with Southies is that we are too nice incase we upset someone, or get told that you are not UNITED and behind the club and are damaging the brand, in case they have not realised, the brand has been damaged since the mid 60's with an occasional 10 year appearance in finals only to fall away again in the ensuing years.

Too many loyal supporters have passed by this club over the years, never having enjoyed the success of other clubs.
prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

prowler wrote:PP, the main reason I always go to alberton is that I have seen every match we have wone at Alberton since I was born in 1948, I would hate to think I never saw us beat the bastards on their own ground .

Great effort Prowler.

On a personal note I've only seen one win at Alberton (from maybe 10-12 visits). Was the year Cahill was coaching and South held on by less than a kick. A Port bloke (Harry Miller?) had a chance to win it on the siren but the kick fell short.

Anyway I digress.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:39 pm

Have held back a bit from commenting but I must say I am bitterly disappointed with the way the year has panned out. (so far!!)
I really did expect more this year. I still felt we had the players to keep the momentum going that Gotchy set up. Like posters have mentioned, the players seen to really struggle with Hocking's game plan. Seems very AFL style - kick short, side ways and possession defensive football. Players just have not adjusted to it this year. I still like to watch South play attacking footy.
i think what concerns me is the skills this year have been pretty poor. Also some of the body language and effort is a worry too.
I really hate to be negative but just calling it as I see it at present.
Under 18's excite me but it still will take a while till they play league footy.
Last 3 games are going to be interesting to watch.
I agree with Prowler, us Southies are a nice lot that don't like to rock the boat. There seems to be the ones who are not convinced Hocking is the coach for us and the others who are right behind him. You could say this is happening at other SANFL clubs too (North, Centrals etc...)
One thing I must say, it absolute breaks my heart being a South supporter. Just seems year after year I repeat myself over and over that we will improve but don't ......family, friends and work colleagues actually pity you !!!
Still, I am waiting patiently for that premiership in my life time.... Sad
Panther74

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum