Post by the prowler on Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:07 pm

3/4 time in first trial match

South 2 goals something

West 8 goals something.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Re: Trial Game 12/3/2011

Post by paul on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm

in the main trial south won by about 15 goals only early days but looked promising very very impressed with lights
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Thats what we want to hear, some success.

Who were our better players and how did the newcomers perform.

We all know they are only trials and dont mount to anything in the long run, but it will give the boys a bit more than hope.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by soapy on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 pm

It was a very good trial performance tonight.
Westies really struggled against a very superior South outfit tonight.
If South continue to improve on this trial form then we are in for a very rewarding season.
It is early days but a 15 goal win certainly builds a fair bit of confidence amongst the team.
Very impressed tonight.
soapy

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:50 pm

One of the best performances I have seen South produce in years.

I know its only a trial but take nothing away...they looked sharp!!

Keep it up lads Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by DOC on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:43 am

The reserves for South included O'Keefe, Sandery, Redigolo, Cockshell, Ainger, Carter and Carey whom the club would expect would all press for consistent league selection, but as we know, you can select 21. They lacked voice and cohesion in the first half. Carey not eligible for selection until round 3 due to suspension.

In the league, South played 22 (West used 23) in near perfect conditions for footy. South played direct (helps with some forward options) and generally looked fitter and stronger which you would expect after starting on October 20. Notably, Jake Veide, Curtis Perrey and Xavier Gotch not only looked to have built significant upper body strength but have greater improved fitness. South tended not to interchange very much which for some players meant they had much longer stints on the ground than normal, especially for Midfielders like Gotch.

My view on the recruits:

Stribling: Nice to see him playing with Liddle instead of punching him. Servicable ( amongst many midfielders)
Wundke: Kicked 5, lead hard, used his height and strength to advantage and chased hard when it was turned over
Daniel: Played mostly off half back, ran very hard (kicked 2.2). Quite impressive
Macleod: Hard at the ball, very good tackler, ran extremely hard, determined to be at the contest and win and showed good disposal by hand and foot
Cross: Played in the middle and brought many others into the game. Looked good.

Cook and Talia from the crows played, both quiet.

16 year old Emannuel Irra has pace and already a reasonable size. Got crunched in the last quarter but got up and chased like he was not going to show he was hurt.

Overall, a good hitout against a depleted opposition but Westies were not given as much of a chance by Souths good disposal and hard tackling.

Goal Kickers from my reckoning: Wundke 5, Daniel 3, Gotch 3, Macleod 3, Veide 2, Cook 1, Horne 1, Cross 1, Murphy 1.

Luke Harrip who suffered a season ending face injury in last years trials played in the reserves.

Brad Fisher (Westies from Carlton) was not noticable but I may have mixed him with either Brayden Fisher or Brad Fisher. 3 B Fishers in one club. The two Phils will need to be on the ball.
DOC

Back to top Go down

Post by Darley on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:03 pm

We were very impressive last night thats for sure. I thought our pace & ball use really worried West.

The 3 players that impressed me were all new recruits

1. Macleod looks all class & he is very cool under pressure played on the wing & kicked a couple of really nice golas

2. Cross - worked very hard & will be another midfielder who will add depth.

3. Wundke- Strong & a real target although he will come up against Silvester next time he plays West.

Our Midfield is our real strength, with players like, Liddle, Horne, Murphy, Gotch, O'keefe & if you add MacLeod & Cross thats a very good line up

I like what I saw last night
Darley

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 am

Couple o happy snaps from Saturday night:

The lights looked great - the spread of light was terrific.
Another lad who played v well also was former Eagle Nathan Daniel. Not sure how many possessions he racked up for the game but had plenty of effective touches moving the ball forward all night. Jake Veide was also impressive and looks to have been on the ole pasta and steak regieme over summer and has bulked up nicely.
Lastly, on the haircut front, sadly ladies Cocky has lost his long flowing locks... has dropped a few kg's too, but still managed to sport the headband though in the opening game. Wink
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 am

How about a fashion review of the strip..
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:47 pm

i thought the strip looked great , when proper season starts we have to wear white shorts witch i think is a joke i would love our club to make a statement
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm

..new strip looked great, I especially like the hooped socks. Not sure if I would like the look with white shorts..?
Some of the recruits looked impressive, Wundke was good with 6 goals but really liked his attack on the footy. others such as McLeod and Irra really impressed me;Irra has an impressive physique for a16 yo and I thought he showed plenty to enthuse about.
My 'ol mate Stribling showed us what we all knew he had- a bit of grunt around the stoppages-- all is forgiven from my point of view- looks a lot better in blue and white than he did last year -tenderising Lidds ribs on a regular basis..!!!

Loved our fierceness at the contest- we have some hard nuts and plenty of options to run through the midfield. Looks like a few have certainly put in the hours in the gym-didnt recognise "darth" Veide !!
looks good but only early days at this stage!!!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

paul wrote:i thought the strip looked great , when proper season starts we have to wear white shorts witch i think is a joke i would love our club to make a statement

Need to stick with the blue shorts...thought it looked very sharp and professional. Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Was a very good win,albeit only a trial!
I thought we had a good emerging mid field last season but I was super impressed with the midfield brigade saturday night.
You can only give your best and I thought we did,though as good as the effort was i could still see times especially during the third quater where we fell away with intensity.(first game so maybe I am harsh?)
The perfomance of a few young players was really encouraging, young Mcleod looks ready to play league footy and Emmanuel Ira showed some good signs even though he is only 17?
I suppose in trials the score board counts but I personally am more interested in how we apply ourselves and how cohesive we look. looking for signs that come round one we will be switched on and showing improvements in all areas of our game from last season! Then the results will take care of themselves.

panther magic

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum