Your first ever South Adelaide Game?

:: Category :: HISTORY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your first ever South Adelaide Game?

Post by Ben W on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Just wondering who can remember going to their first ever South Adelaide match? And your memories of the day?

For me it was in the late 1970's, my Dad took me with my uncle to Thebarton Oval to see South play West Torrens, I would have been maybe 5 yro at the time. I remember that it rained so we ended up sitting in the top of the Heritage Grandstand. South lost to Torrens on the day. Perhaps my main memory is rolling aluminum cans down the stairs of the Grandstand!

As a teenager I began to attend SAFC matches on my own accord with the group of mates that I hung around with and have been going ever since, I barrack for South for no other reason that my Dad barracked for South so I barracked for South. I love many memories that I have associated with the SAFC despite the fact that we havent won a flag in my lifetime so far, although I do think that our time may very well be not to far away!

Anyway how about you?
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Your first ever South Adelaide Game?

Post by the prowler on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I can recall going to Prospect Oval when I was about 5 y.o. with my Dad and older brother, Dad barracked for North as did my brother, I suppose I just barracked for South just to go against them. I can remember being on the oval during the breaks trying to get a kick from any of the footys that were being kicked around, in them days everyone joined in, had a few dobs if they could get one, then scoot off the ground when the first siren went, clambered over the fence, then went looking for Dad again, usually found him near the beer tent. (Nothings changed really)
I tried to go to as many games as Dad would take me to, although they were mostly North games then, I could never read enough about South in the News and the Advertiser each week day, Mum said i never learnt to read at school, but the footy part of the paper certainly got me through.

Mind you this was in 1953.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by UKPanther on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:08 pm

My first game was in 1987, we played Torrens at the Adelaide Oval and lost by about 9-10 goals. I am not sure why we went other than my dad was a south supporter. I loved the game, despite losing, and knew that I would be a Panther for life. I went to another game later that year, we lost to Sturt at Footy Park in a game that ultimately meant we finished bottom. Loved it still - the first time I actually saw us win was when we ended the 26 game losing streak against Norwood at Footy Park in 1989. What a fantastic day that was.... :-) If we ever look like making the grand final (surely we will one day!) I'll be on a plane back from the UK as quickly as possible!
UKPanther

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Thats good UKP, we will get a collection tin started for you for next year.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:22 am

My first game was in 1989 i think, i was about 8 years old. We played westies at adelaide oval and got up by 3 points. My dad took me along and we ran in to one of his old friends there with his son who was about my age,they were westies fans and we got the bragging rights and i was hooked. I was keen to go every week after that and dad wasnt quite as keen so i pestered mum into taking me, even got her to change from a sturt fan to a south fan. Another early memory i have is mum taking me out to alberton to play the magpies, we got smashed that day and there couldnt have been more than a handfull of south supporters there. She still reminds me of that day when we got pumped by 20 odd goals and all the abuse that was thrown towards us as we walked back to the car and i wouldnt stop waving my flag. A year or two later we returned to alberton and we got up by a point in a heart stopper, needless to say we got abused alot more on the way back to the car that day.....but hey i wouldnt have it any other way hahaha
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 pm

1965. Adelaide Oval, not sure against who. Just remember Alfie Skuse almost coming over the fence on the wing where the Vic Richardson gates eventually went in.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by the sarge on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:24 am

im a westies die hard as some of you would know from other forums, but my dad is a south fan and as a kid i use to go to some south games with him...... we lived in port adelaide so we always made the games against port at alberton, when i was about 5 i was at alberton watching south play port and it was one of the rare occasions south beat them, i was waving my scarf (yes a south scarf) and had a wharfie hero threaten to strangle me with it....that would have been about 1994 or there abouts
the sarge

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:24 pm

We do it at Alberton that often Sarge, we tend to forget which years it was (Grin) Very Happy
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: Category :: HISTORY

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum