Round 4 South vs Port

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 4 South vs Port

Post by darley16 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:08 am

Let's not get too down Southies over the loss to Centrals, they will produce that result to plenty of other clubs at Elizabeth this year, besides a young side like ours is going to have shockers like that every so often. It's in learning of what we can understand how to perform better and how we react to the loss that will be the deciding factor on our improvement.
Based on what i've seen this year, this team won't accept that performance and should prove to both us, the supporters and themselves they are better than that and produce another great night game victory at Hicky.

ps. RIP Soapy.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 4 South vs Port

Post by Handball Happy on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 am

Thursday night will give us a bit more to go on. Our form in the lead up to last Saturday had been promising. Fingers crossed we have the bad one out of the way. The positive is that we don't have to go out there again this year despite playing Centrals twice more.
We'd want to show a little more spirit this thursday. We did struggle with the Magpies last year, but I think we have improved our team with Wundke, Stribling, Cross, Macleod and even Carey showed a bit.
Luck will have it that Maric will get dropped back, but thankfully Surjan and Ebert won't.
I'd take going into the bye at 2-2.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

It was very tough last weekend! I thought we would have done a bit better,but against the dogs on their big oval we were made to pay for poor intensity and sloppy skills.
I would expect a much better showing and nothing less than victory over the magpies will do!
Yes it will be tough but this game will be a strong indicator of where we stand in our progress at the moment.
Again it is our recruits that our showing the way which is good, but some of the other lads are going to have to stand up.Yes we are a young side but some blokes have had a few years at senior level and have to learn how to stand up when the going gets tough otherwise questions will be raised on 'if they have the ability at this level?
We have a five day turn around and the magpies only have four so just another advantage we have, no excuses thursday night!
lets hope we can move on and learn from the bad loss to the dogs!
Sturt did it last week after the bad loss to the legs, now its time for us to do the same. Hit them hard south!!

panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Lets hope they can get up for Soapy!! Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 pm

stii OS in Jordan atm,
saturdays result was disappointing to say the least. Coming off a good win against north I was expecting a better result even though the game was at elizabeth. It seems that every time we need a win to take the next step upwards, and get everyone to sit up and take notice we fail. Unfortunately we often fail-big time

We have another opportunity to take "that next step" v Port this week and we need to get into a winning habit at home. lets hope Ronnie can get the boys up after the disappointment from last week and come away with the points.
Go Panthers!!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 pm

South - 14.11 = 95

Port - 12.7 = 79

How sweet it is!!!!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 pm

Great win tonight lads!!! Great pressure and rebound all night. Choaty a very proud Panther!!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by bluecat on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Tremendous win!!!. Great night. The whole Club was on show tonight and it won everywhere. The Team showed it could resist the pressure. Port were not going to give in, but neither were we. Great first quarter to set up the win. Third quarter was even better. to stabilize it. The fireworks, the atmosphere, looked great. the entertainment for the kids even the catering, everything was well done. Congratulations South Adelaide. I'm a proud Panther too.
bluecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Just got back home.

Very happy with the win. Stribling absolutely amazing game tonight....would have to get the 3 votes. Staring with the Panthers this year.
Horne, Daniel and Cross great as well.

Really good direct football from South but I was a little worried with Port coming back at us in the last half of the game. I will give them credit for that.

South seemed to quick for Port. It was great South did not panick too much under the pressure of Port.

I dont usually say this as I think its a cop out but some of the umpiring decisions tonight may I say were "puzzling". One umpire making a decision with another one coming in to "Overturn" it. The holding the ball rule was also used too much and many decisions made when it was clear the ball was not held into the player. Rant over.

Great win. Good to get the points.

The atmosphere was also good. Fireworks, good live band at half time and end of the game. I thought it worked really well but I am sure there will be the negative people out there that bag it. Full credit to South for putting on a great show...
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:31 am

Thats what night football should be like, a good game, fast moving, goals scored, good skills, the fireworks spectacular, the promotion by the club outstanding with the numbers attending, the BBQ flat out all night, and a victory to boot.

All this should bring the Panthers supporters back to the football each week.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

agree guys - great night all round - its all really starting to take shape. Can't wait for next night game.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:44 am

Panther74 wrote:

I dont usually say this as I think its a cop out but some of the umpiring decisions tonight may I say were "puzzling". One umpire making a decision with another one coming in to "Overturn" it. The holding the ball rule was also used too much and many decisions made when it was clear the ball was not held into the player. Rant over.

I was in the stand and I had the same line of sight as the first umpire. The ball definately hit the ground and the player fell on it. Williams could not have seen that from his angle and was only guessing. He should have trusted his teammate.

Apart from the 3-4 goals resulting from free kicks the umpiring was nearly OK.

Mitch Sandery got off to a slow start but when he found the pace it was good to see him bounding out of defence.

Panther74 wrote:
The atmosphere was also good. Fireworks, good live band at half time and end of the game. I thought it worked really well but I am sure there will be the negative people out there that bag it. Full credit to South for putting on a great show...

Ditto
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

sounds like a great win-any win over port is a good one!!
back in OZ on monday and looking forward to seeing my first night game and a few south victories!!!!
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:16 pm

South played some great footy in patches, particularly early on. Crabby and Ainger was terrific down back in the first half, and the small defenders looked pretty slick bringing the ball out. Not all that efficient when going forward for the first three quarters, but it was pleasing that we went back to a more direct style in the last quarter.

46 up at one stage, to win by 16. Yep, when you're a South fan you'll take any win, but it would have been good to really put a side away (Last time that happened was v West in 2007 I reckon). Good to see us hold our nerve in the final term though.

Port..well I have to say they were pretty woeful for most of the first half. Broke down continuously at CHF and South seemed to dominate the stoppages. They got on top in that area as the game grew longer though.

As an aside, it was the first night match I've been to at Noarlunga and I thought the lights were of a reasonably good standard. The misses came along for her first Noarlunga match in five years, and she thought the club did an excellent job of making the night an entertaining one. I'd ditch the music after goals though.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Some handy ins for Port this week. Four AFL listed players. Usually happens the week we play them. Hope they are gone by the time we play them again in a few weeks.
Will be interesting to see if we can get a game or two out of Otten. Think we might find a spot for him in defence.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum