View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Adelaide and night football.

Post by Spiritof64 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:52 am

Bet someone at the SNAFL is asking about now "How many night championships?"

Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Re: South Adelaide and night football.

Post by Ben W on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Think that Night Football is not only here to stay but is going to be the major growth of crowd numbers to the SANFL in coming years. 1900 was a our average crowd against North and we did 500+ more than that in the rain. Some success would not hurt the clubs night attendances either and as we work through Fullers rebuilding plan I do think that is a likely outcome.

Clubs that don't have access to lights at their home ground will likely need to make some decisions about what to do to set their club up for the future, do nothing at all because of "tradition" and its fairly likely we wont have the bye problem in the SANFL for to much longer...

Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:52 am

What SAFC is doing is excellent, my only concern is are we blowing away (literally with the fireworks) our profit margin on the "event" of promoting night footy. I know sometimes you need to spend money to make money but my only question is are we that financially secure to spend as much as we do on radio promotion, firworks, bands, announcer, pa system and on top of this the electricity expense of running those lights (which are all left burning long after the game is over).
Don't misunderstand me, iám really proud of our club in what they have undertaken with night footy, (apart from music after each goal, takes away the atmosphere from the crowd and is annoying and uneccessary) but with pokie income to be reduced post legislation restrictions one can only trust the Board is not over committing the clubs finances.

darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:03 pm

darley16 wrote:What SAFC is doing is excellent, my only concern is are we blowing away (literally with the fireworks) our profit margin on the "event" of promoting night footy. I know sometimes you need to spend money to make money but my only question is are we that financially secure to spend as much as we do on radio promotion, firworks, bands, announcer, pa system and on top of this the electricity expense of running those lights (which are all left burning long after the game is over).
Don't misunderstand me, iám really proud of our club in what they have undertaken with night footy, (apart from music after each goal, takes away the atmosphere from the crowd and is annoying and uneccessary) but with pokie income to be reduced post legislation restrictions one can only trust the Board is not over committing the clubs finances.

I reckon the "powers that be" would have a pretty good grip on what they can afford and what they can not - I suppose it will all come out at the AGM anyway. Must say I quite like the "upbeat" vibe at these night games. afro
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 pm

The Growl wrote:
darley16 wrote:What SAFC is doing is excellent, my only concern is are we blowing away (literally with the fireworks) our profit margin on the "event" of promoting night footy. I know sometimes you need to spend money to make money but my only question is are we that financially secure to spend as much as we do on radio promotion, firworks, bands, announcer, pa system and on top of this the electricity expense of running those lights (which are all left burning long after the game is over).

I reckon the "powers that be" would have a pretty good grip on what they can afford and what they can not - I suppose it will all come out at the AGM anyway. Must say I quite like the "upbeat" vibe at these night games. afro

It's important to the club that we make a success of these night games. Sunday games were a fizzle because of conflict with the AFL and local footy.

We need to speculate to accumulate.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by paul on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Personally i love our night games, i wish we could have all our home games under lights great atmosphere Every one i talk to loves it as well, if you have commitments during the day your mates can meet and have a bear or two agreat way to finish of the day
paul

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I also love the night games - think the club is doing a great job with them. Must say though that I thought the Sunday games last year were also very well attended. Ib recent years, its mainly the Saturday afternoon games that stuggle to get crowds.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Night footy is surely the way the club must go in future and present a stronger argument to the SANFL if there is talk of it being taken away, both Friday and Saturday nights should be worked on, although saying that, Norwood and Adelaide ovals both suit Friday night football.

Just for interest, The Panther Club presented to Ben on Saturday night a check for $10,000.00 as a third payment towards the cost of one of the light towers that surround the oval, I wonder how soon the Panther Club will get their name on the light tower as recognition of paying for one light tower.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:43 am

Great effort by the Panther Club, but surely they don't need the club to erect costly signage that could otherwise be sold to sponsors and raise critical money for the club, as recognition. If that did happen, then the club should also be putting up signage for the stats team, cheerleaders, water boys, trainers etc etc ... not that pratcical I wouldn't have thought. I have regularly read in the Club's correspondance thanks from the Board for the Panther Club's efforts.

On the other hand, I do enjoy paying $10 membership of the Panther club and getting $40 of food each year?? Not sure how the Club makes any money through this (assume it must loose a heap), but I basically get free food!!!! Very Happy
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

If paying $30,000 isnt sponsorship tell me what is.

I might be wrong, I believe others have paid less and got their Company name on them, as I said, I believe only and will be happy to rescind what I have just said if I am wrong.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 pm

The Growl wrote:Great effort by the Panther Club, but surely they don't need the club to erect costly signage that could otherwise be sold to sponsors and raise critical money for the club, as recognition. If that did happen, then the club should also be putting up signage for the stats team, cheerleaders, water boys, trainers etc etc ... not that pratcical I wouldn't have thought. I have regularly read in the Club's correspondance thanks from the Board for the Panther Club's efforts.

On the other hand, I do enjoy paying $10 membership of the Panther club and getting $40 of food each year?? Not sure how the Club makes any money through this (assume it must loose a heap), but I basically get free food!!!! Very Happy

Love the $10 booklet.....the most value money cant buy!!!

I tell my mates from other SANFL clubs and they are soooooo jealous of me Very Happy
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 pm

the prowler wrote:If paying $30,000 isnt sponsorship tell me what is.

I might be wrong, I believe others have paid less and got their Company name on them, as I said, I believe only and will be happy to rescind what I have just said if I am wrong.

No idea if your right or wrong. All I'm saying is surely the Panther Club don't want a wack of the money thay make from patrons attending South games, to be spent on a promotion of themselves! Can't see how this would add one cent to their sales, and the space you're talking about could be used for another sponsor to put more money into the club, if there is any spots left.

I'm sure the Panther Club have the benefit of the SAFC as a much higher priority than ensuring they, as opposed to all the other hard working sections of the are put up in lights, at an expense to the club?

If the Club went down this track it would have to provide Jimmy Deane's with a sign as big as the whole oval for the amount of money they put in!

PS - can you ask the Panther Club if they can through in a couple cans of beer each game for my $10 - that way I would not even have to take my wallet to the footy cheers
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum