John Schneebichler

:: Category :: HISTORY

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Schneebichler

Post by Ben W on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 pm

How many in here remember watching Sneezer play for the club? I certainley do and he was one of the players that I very much idolised as a kid growing up. He was an amazingly good player who gave everything every match, a huge loss to the club when he crossed over to the Bays for his final season of SANFL footy, someone who I would very much like to see back involved at South in some capacity!

Anyway here is his bio from the footy history site,

Boasting a trademark unkempt appearance that perhaps belied the extent of his commitment and ability, John Schneebichler was a workmanlike and thoroughly dependable league footballer who enjoyed a successful fourteen season, 259 game, 377 goal SANFL career at two clubs. All but 25 of those games were played for South Adelaide, where he rose through the ranks before making his senior debut in 1975. Capable of playing in a variety of positions, he carried out whatever function was asked of him with a minimum of fuss and plenty of fortitude and grit. He was a member of the Panthers' losing grand final team against Port Adelaide in 1979, and was the club's leading goal kicker with 65 goals in 1983. After captaining South in his last three seasons at the club he crossed to Glenelg, hoping to play in a premiership team, but although the Bays reached the grand final, they were vanquished by Port Adelaide. In addition to his club games, John Schneebichler played 5 times for South Australia.

Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: John Schneebichler

Post by Panther74 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Funny story about JS.

I used to play school and junior footy for Glenelg ( hated it down there!) I was in the Glenelg zone.

I always trained with a South jumper with number 36 on my back. I was so proud to wear that at training as I was the only kid that would wear a South jumper in the years of 1988/89. Terrible years.!!!

JS went to the Bays and I was a shattered teenage kid......I came to training that week with tears in my eyes and in front of my Glenelg team mates tore off the number 3 off the back of it leaving number 6.

I remember looking at them and saying "Stuff him.......Craig Dewhirst is my hero now!!" (number 6) Laughing

Still would welcome JS back with open arms...all is forgiven Laughing
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Gee whiz, couldn't we do with a Sneezer in our side now, he was not afraid of any opponent, could mix it with the best of them, gave us drive from the backlines or a decent target up front and then could ruck for a good part of the day if needed.

It sure came as a surprise to me when he left us for the Bays, something must have happened for him to do that to us.

His move to the Bay has strengthened our dislike for the Bays even more.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: Category :: HISTORY

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum