South Reserves Players in the SFL / GSFL?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Reserves Players in the SFL / GSFL?

Post by Ben W on Wed May 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Interesting blog last week from Ron Fuller in which he discusses the idea that has been suggested that the SANFL not have a Reserves competition and do with their allocated clubs what the AFL in SA does with the SANFL clubs - one list of players, so no Reserves list outside of the league list, players allocated to their original SFL or GSFL club and players recruited externally recruited via a mini draft process.

I think the idea has some merit but needs much more scruitiny and the opportunity given for clubs to discuss the idea and see if its worthwhile looking at. My feeling is that the Reserves players are underpaid and the situation of players earning much more to play local footy needs to be addressed if the SANFL is to move forward so I do think its worth forming a committee to look into the idea and report back to the clubs / members on it. I must say that a Morphett Vale vs Pt Noarlunga game replete with SAFC listed players put on before the SANFL match would not hurt attendances at the game and interest in both the competitions at the same time.

Something to think about anyway!

SANFL
Wednesday 11th May - By Ronny's Blog

The want of our AFL clubs to have a reserves team in the SANFL continues to be raised and for what it is worth I don’t have a problem with it.
I don’t actually think it will have a detrimental effect on our competition.
As long as the AFL clubs can guarantee the integrity of the competition I think it might even add to the interest in the SANFL.
It will bring with it added expense though but Port Adelaide spends about 1.3 million putting its own SANFL club on the ground, with all of its grades, but I haven’t heard anyone suggest this would be a good way for that club to cut costs.
Another train of thought is for the SANFL clubs to do away with their reserves teams and have the players not selected in senior SANFL teams then play for an aligned amateur league club to reduce costs.
Or better put, to allow the AFL clubs to reduce dividends to the SANFL clubs, to allow for the money saved in putting reserves on the field.
It costs around $ 60,000 to field a reserves team on the ground ( $540,000 for 9 clubs ) and it has been projected to be around $300,000 ( $600,000 for two AFL clubs ) to put an AFL reserves team in the SANFL.
I suppose this is the argument as one would offset the other.
The interesting point though is that the AFL clubs want to have a reserves team to maintain control, development or whatever it is called on their players.
This is fair enough too, but the people who are asking for this change are also quite happy for the SANFL clubs to lose the same control of their players by having them go to amateur clubs all over the suburbs.
The phrase double standard immediately comes to mind.
The other thing I would like to raise is why no-one has questioned why only one AFL club in the established football states of Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia has its own development zone.

Ron Fuller

http://www.safc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=39&311f4775d7efe0c12fcc34a051030c86=8edcc716f247d3dbc4a9e78a2c95504d
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: South Reserves Players in the SFL / GSFL?

Post by Todayisnow on Sun May 22, 2011 7:47 pm

After watching SFL and GSFL games recently there is no way you can scrap the reserves. The local leagues are great country based teams but not even close to SANFL reserves. The intensity in local leagues is zero. Tackling is non existent. Players have no defensive standards and the skills are woeful.

SANFL " DONT DO IT"
Todayisnow

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Sun May 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Todayisnow wrote:After watching SFL and GSFL games recently there is no way you can scrap the reserves. The local leagues are great country based teams but not even close to SANFL reserves. The intensity in local leagues is zero. Tackling is non existent. Players have no defensive standards and the skills are woeful.

SANFL " DONT DO IT"

Ive seen quite a bit of SFL and GSFL A grade, and yes the standad is no where near SANFL reserves, but there is definitely intensity, tackling and their skills are far from woeful.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by The Growl on Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 am

I'm with "today" - local leagues are miles away from SNFL reserves in every aspect.
The Growl

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

What if a South Adelaide League player - like Peter Rolfe for example was coming back from injury?
Would he be better served playing in South's Reserves or running out for Noarlunga against Marion? Would his 25 goals for Noarlunga against the Rams or six in the South Reserves against Centrals justify selection in the League team.
Can't see the removal of the Reserves comp being good for the SANFL competition. Brilliant for local footy of course.

Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I agree it would be very disappointing to see the reserves competition to disappear.
The games that I have seen in leagues that are in our zone are a long way off in standard compared to Reserves footy.
On another issue.
Personally I believe the Sanfl commission should look very seriously into the cash economy in the country leagues throughout SA : and introduce a stringently policed salary cap. It is absolutely ridiculous the amount of cash being thrown around in brown paper bags by country clubs-one club I know of is paying 5 ex reserves players between $750-1200 per game each, and they dont have to attend training.Thats cash payment as well.!That is more than a lot of league players could dream about.This situation really doesnt help the depth of talent in the reserves competition and inevitably helps some country clubs down the slippery road to extinction. pale
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler on Tue May 24, 2011 7:43 pm

blueandwhite wrote:This situation really doesnt help the depth of talent in the reserves competition and inevitably helps some country clubs down the slippery road to extinction. pale

Well that's what happens when you get University trained idiots running junior clubs and associations.

Common sense died many years ago in the football world, just talking about the removal of the reserves competition proves that point.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum