Round 9 - Port v South

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Round 9 - Port v South

Post by Choaty on Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Working off the old Loss-Win-Loss-Win-Loss-Win-Loss pattern, surely we walk away with the 2pts this week, no?

Would expect a tough game at Alberton, but even after Port are coming off a 100pt schallacking last week at the hands of Norwood, I reckon South are developing their confidence and will battle this out for a win...

Roll Call Panthers Punters?!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Re: Round 9 - Port v South

Post by the prowler on Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm

We have been more than competitive at Alberton over the last few years, I see no reason why we will fall away towards the end of the game, so I will say confidently that we will over come this week and take the 2 points back to Noarlunga with us.

I will be there as usual, I have seen every victory at Alberton since 1938, I wont be missing this one.
the prowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Yep...Ill be there.

Come and say "hello" Smile
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu May 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Worried about this one.

Much stronger Port team than the last time we played them.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes ,a little concerned about Ports "ins" from the Power.This will be tougher match than we think. However its a game we must win if we are to stay in touch with the five.Also to demonstrate to rest of the sanfl and indeed to our supporters that we are making some good progress.

Will be there definitely,
Go panthers. Twisted Evil
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 pm

F. VEIDE AINGER HORNE
HF. CAREY COCKSHELL LIDDLE
C. DANIEL CROSS MACLEOD
HB. MURPHY CRABB SANDERY
B. LEONARD OTTEN THEWLIS
FOLL. BROOKSBY STRIBLING REDIGOLO
INT. LYONS PERREY ROLFE WUNDKE BASS
Into 23 – Adam Cockshell, Curtis Perrey, Peter Rolfe, Nathan Lyons
Out – Emmanuel Irra (State U18s), Myke Cook (Crows)

Couple handy ins and outs
Will be a close game, need more of our younger players to stand up to win this week.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Thu May 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Some good INS. Interesting that Wundke is listed on the interchange. I like the fact that Rolfe is back, hopefully will be crumbing off the hands of Ainger and Wundke. Bass would be one of the likely two to drop out.

Stiff to lose Irra, but good luck to the lad.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Umpiring was shocking today for both teams, dont think that made a difference in us losing. We just made way to many errors. Need to do the simple things like hitting a target to win games. Wundke, Stribling, Cross and Murphy were our best today but needed more from Ainger, Perry, Rolfe, Cockshell and Brooksby. Meiklejohn killed us in the ruck today.
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun May 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Some deficiencies I picked up from the game:

We need to recruit a ruckman, Meiklejohn totally dominant gave the maggies midfield first look at the ball; All due repect to Brookers & Cocky; Brooksby is still developing as a league player & has definite potential; Cocky has shouldered the responsibility of our ruck over the last couple of years & has been fantastic, however I have always seen him as our answer to CHF; I don't think he is fully fit & he needs to regain those skills that made him an up & coming forward since moving from the Legs.

More forward options Wundke needs more support; Rolfe has proven he's an opportunistic forward & hopefully will regain some form after returning from injury; If you remember we had a similar issue when Ben Warren was playing & our forward line was deemed too one dimesional.

Need to improve our forward efficiency, given I believe we are one of the leading teams for inside 50's; Our inability to hit a target, the number of times we've hit opposition defenders; Is it our forwards who are in the wrong position? Or our delivery in the forward line?

We need a greater level of defensive pressure in our forward line, again looking at the stats our opposition have been given too much freedom to rebound from defensive 50 & set up scoring otions.

At the end of the day we just want to see continual improvement.

Many South supports like me who are in it for the long haul, are asking the question, when can we expect success?

Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Premier Panther wrote:Some deficiencies I picked up from the game:

We need to recruit a ruckman, Meiklejohn totally dominant gave the maggies midfield first look at the ball; All due repect to Brookers & Cocky; Brooksby is still developing as a league player & has definite potential; Cocky has shouldered the responsibility of our ruck over the last couple of years & has been fantastic, however I have always seen him as our answer to CHF; I don't think he is fully fit & he needs to regain those skills that made him an up & coming forward since moving from the Legs.

More forward options Wundke needs more support; Rolfe has proven he's an opportunistic forward & hopefully will regain some form after returning from injury; If you remember we had a similar issue when Ben Warren was playing & our forward line was deemed too one dimesional.

Need to improve our forward efficiency, given I believe we are one of the leading teams for inside 50's; Our inability to hit a target, the number of times we've hit opposition defenders; Is it our forwards who are in the wrong position? Or our delivery in the forward line?

We need a greater level of defensive pressure in our forward line, again looking at the stats our opposition have been given too much freedom to rebound from defensive 50 & set up scoring otions.

Many South supports like me who are in it for the long haul, are asking the question, when can we expect success?

While I feel we have improved from last year and we certainly are winning our fair share of the ball, we seem to turn the ball over frequently with poor delivery to our forwards. This sees us being caught time and time again on the rebound and puts enormous pressure on our defence.
I really feel the club needs to secure a top flight ruckman before the start of next season. Brooksby and an obviously underdone Cockshell battled manfully yesterday but really werent in the same class as Michaeljohn and Maric. Someone of Michaeljohns' calibre would be ideal for us- he gave us an absolute hiding yesterday.
We also need to develop physically because all too often yesterday we were just brushed aside in contests and didnt possess the physical strength to stop opposition players with our tackles.
Stribling and Wundke showed again that they are invaluable recruits; they were basically fringe players at North last year. The club needs to look no further than opposition sanfl clubs to find potential recruits, hopefully our footy department is already on the lookout for suitable types to fill our deficiencies.

there's always next week. Sad
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun May 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Premier Panther wrote:Some deficiencies I picked up from the game:

Very good post.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Sun May 29, 2011 7:23 pm

It just seems year after year we are always talking at this time of..."who can we recruit??"

For my 30 plus years of supporting South.....it comes up every year. Rolling Eyes

I do agree we need a forward and a ruck......but as I said I hear that every year.

Its about time really some of these players yesterday "stood up" and played for the jumper.

Sick of the excuses.....we actually really guys dont have a bad side at all. Just no pressure on them to perform.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 pm

P74, totally agree, on paper our side looks pretty good (always felt though even at the start of the year we had a number of deficiencies in key positions - I know that's easy to say in hindsight); It really hurts us supporters who have been through the hard & even harder times, to see these below par performances & wonder if things will ever turn.

What do we put it down to, lack of workrate, accountability, belief? When you look at the reserve & u18 grades you wonder where that pressure will come from for the league team to keep their places.
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Tue May 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Just got back from a holiday in New Zealand and have missed the past two games.
Was very dissapointed to hear we were beaten in both games although I did not expect to beat the dogs!
From the games I have seen when we play away our intensity is generally of a much poorer standard than when we play at home.
I dont quite understand this, its not like we have to travel interstate to play. There should be no reason why we cannot match the intensity of home games.Either its between the ears or we are managing to play above our ability at home?
I was really hopeful, maybe not confident that we could knock off Port at Alberton.
Our big man stocks are clearly not good enough and are holding us back, Bass should get another run in the league team this Saturday night. Maybe Cocky at centre half forward and Bass and Brooksby changing in the ruck.
We are hamstrung by our lack of depth,therefore players who maybe should be getting a run in the twos are holding their spot in the league team.
It wont be easy to bolster our depth but it is something that over the next two years has to happen.We as a club have to find better ways to extract every thing we can out of our zone,otherwise our improvement will be hindered!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum