ROUND 9 SOUTH V GLENELG

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ROUND 9 SOUTH V GLENELG

Post by panther magic on Tue May 31, 2011 8:24 pm

Well this is a big game for us and one which will be very difficult!
Glenelg have been stuttering a bit thus far, but the big question, is our best good enough to knock these guys off!
Our home form has been reasonably good so if we can continue that with a more consistent four quater effort we may be in the game.
The bottom line is the bays have a club with enormous depth, their reserves and under 18's are smashing it at the moment. We can only dream of having that next wave of quality youngsters coming through that they do.
If our midfield can get plenty of the ball and somone else besides Wundke can stand up and kick some goals we may be in with a chance.
Time to lift the bar and play with some urgency and toughness! Tackle hard and make them stick! Use the ball effectively! looking forward to this game and hope to see some good footy from us. Hope we get a good crowd on saturday night!!!
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Re: ROUND 9 SOUTH V GLENELG

Post by southernladbornandbred on Tue May 31, 2011 11:19 pm

Need more than 1 main target up forward to constanly win games. Ainger doesnt look to bad there but had a couple quiet games, a possible move back and maybe giving Talia who is back from injury there maybe even Turner. Daniel has kicked a few goal as has Veide who with a few more games should be a good target. Add Cocky up there and looks like a better set up.Cook could possible return this week from crows as well. If the waether is not to bad should pull a good crowd, cant wait for this game, its 1 that both teams really need to win and i believe we will this week
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:50 pm

If only Ainger could kick straight he'd be a viable option.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:30 am

Another test this week against the team that most Panther supporters despise the most. Unfortunately I will be absent but we should expect a much better effort than last weeks V Port.We need to be "in and at it "at the contests and give our forwards some quality delivery which was sadly missing last week.
Panthers to continue their good record under lights and win by a couple of goals.

Go South. Very Happy
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by southernladbornandbred on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:14 pm

F. AINGER WUNDKE ROLFE
HF. LYONS MCKERNAN MACLEOD
C. CAREY DANIEL COOK
HB. STRIBLING TALIA CROSS
B. SANDERY CRABB THEWLIS
FOLL. BROOSKBY MURPHY LIDDLE
INT. COCKSHELL HORNE IRRA REDIGOLO PERREY
Into 23 – Emmanuel Irra, Myke Cook, Daniel Talia, Shaun McKernan
Out – Andy Otten (Crows), Jake Veide (omitted)
southernladbornandbred

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:21 am

Good looking side on paper, let's hope they all gel and knock the bays off.
I reckon I'm gonna head down early for a Jimmy Deane's schnit and warm up beer. See you there lads! Go Panthers!!!!
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:40 am

side does look very good on paper, lets hope mckernan and wudke can work well together up forward and we bury these bloody bays
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Despite our side looking good on paper I very much hope we dont see a scoreline of South 1: 9 (10) at 1/4 time. Its so damn frustrating watching our midfielders set up opportunities then missed shots resulting in turnovers and opportunities for the opposition.

South played some good footy against Central, our problem is that we turn the ball over way to easilly and sides like the Dogs dont need a second chance to make a goal from a turnover. Get it right and we are well on the way to giving it to the Bays this weekend.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Cranston a big out for the Bays.
I'm not sure why, but I've got a good feeling about this game (unlike last week).
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Andy Ottens listed as an in for Sat night according to SAFC.com
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Some very good INs. Doubt we've fielded a team of this strength for 5 years or so. Still, the hard work still has to be done...

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Premier Panther on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:14 am

Workrate, physical contest & metal application critical.

Bring it home boys!
Premier Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Glenelg - 16.6 = 102

South - 16.6 = 102

Shattered!

We played so well to set it up then they came right back and took it right back to us. Clealry recruiting Daniel paid some dividends tonight, without him the Bays would be celebrating a win tonight, instead we went goal for goal until Daniel stole it back for us denying them the win.

Clealry they are a top five side, to have drawn them is disapointing, yet considering they likely turned up with it pencilled in as a win is not the worst outcome either. Would be far far more happier if we had finally won one against them though!
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiritof64 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:23 pm

at the Bay will taste better.
Spiritof64

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawkers6 on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 pm

More than happy with the endeavour, Bar a 10 Minute patch in 3rd term. One week we will string togethor 4 Qtrs.
Irra needs a bit more time in the 2's learning his craft, Magnificent potential but needs time and nurturing.
Dissapointed, But Proud of a mighty effort. Had our backs against it in the last quarter but refused to throw in the towel.
Hawkers6

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Hawkers6 wrote:Had our backs against it in the last quarter but refused to throw in the towel.

I have to concede that this is one of the real areas that its fair to say that I am seeing some improvement in our lads, a 2009/10 South side would have been rolled tonight.
Ben W
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Choaty on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:24 am

One of those 'empty' feelings after the match. Should have had it stitched up, but still very happy with the way the lads battled it out in particularly the last 10 minutes. I think we all know that a South team of old would have rolled over and taken a 6 goal drubbing under the same circumstance last season.
On a side note, did Cockshell play Reserves or pull out before the game?
Choaty

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:19 am

Reserves I was told Choaty. McKernan was excellent in ruck I thought.

One point squandered. Very frustrating to blow a lead like that. Cracker of a finish though and when the game looked shot we kept fighting on.

A few "school boy" errors cost us dearly (McKernan, Thewlis to name a couple) in the end.

Umps ordinary for both teams. Foolishly I praised them at half time, but they undid their good work in the second half.

Plenty of positives to take out of the game, but they are the sort of games that have to be won.

saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by darley16 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:08 pm

Loved the fight back after loosing the lead, lothed loosing the lead! This team had character in bucket loads, just need to understand a 4 quarter total effort required to win a this level, our best as we have all seen can beat any side in the comp.
PS- thought the white jumper, blue shorts, hooped sox looked great under lights (not keen on the white shorts with white jumper)
darley16

Back to top Go down

Post by panther magic on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:39 pm

We had them on toast in the first half and probably should have been another couple of goals up!
Unfortunately I was pretty certain the bays would come out breathing fire in the second half and we would drop off our intensity and it happened!
The fight back in the dying stages was good as we looked as though we would take nothing from the game.
We played a good side, although we made them look anything but good in the first half.
Football is played over four quaters, and unfortunately fiftten minutes of ordinary footy can cost you a match!
This is fourth home game that we have gone in with a good half time lead only for it to be eroded.
The key for us is to be able to sustain our effort! Not very often a team will dominate the whole game, but when you dont have momentum it is important to deny the opposition and lift the pressure!
Week off then time to head to the parade. We really need to bring our home form.
panther magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Panther74 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Real disappointing we gave away such a big lead.

Take the draw and learn from it.
Panther74

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradise Panther on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Is the 3rd qtr fade out a trait of a young team? Seems to have been a few times this year when we go in at half time with momentum but mentally drift out of the game in the 20 minutes of half time.

I remember the Centrals game where we played our best qtr of footy in the second qtr and went in at half time with 'some' chance. I paid attention to our warm up after half time which consisted of a couple of token run throughs and some stretches. The first 15 mins of the 3rd qtr we were blown apart.

With such a young group perhaps an 'in close' handball drill or something similar to get our focus back wouldn't go astray. Admittedly I have only seen the Centrals and Westies games this year so paerhaps it has been addressed?
Paradise Panther

Back to top Go down

Post by Handball Happy on Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Just relived the last minutes of the final quarter on the South web site. The poor cat copped it again.
Still think the umps were watching a different game. Not sure they got many right in the final term. Free kicks against Thewlis and out on full against Murphy were right, but reckon they got both wrong on Grima. Stiff for first hold in the ball but he clearly drops the last one. Would have been a riot if they'd paid that.
Would have been great to win like that against the Bays!
Handball Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by B&W63 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Had an empty feeling at end of the game, neutral supporter near us said it was a great game. After controlling the game in the first half & should have capitalised on good skills and and ball movement by putting it on the scoreboard.
Young and still learning but on the right track - last year we would not have come back at them ( remember similar game at Prospect up at half time should have been miles in front, then lost by heaps ).
Bays are probably the best team at the moment at coming back at you so if we can learn not to drop away then we can gain confidence from our good play and use it away from home.
B&W63

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum